"To bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." Isaiah 61:3

The Burckhard Family

The Burckhard Family

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yikers! Thank You, Heimlich!

Bella and I were just having lunch and when I didn't hear her usual "mmmm, mmmm, mmmm'ing", I looked over at her and she had her little hands on her throat! Praise God I remembered what to do and didn't panic. I performed the Heimlich manuever on her and out popped a piece of chicken. Yikers!

Poor thing...she was so scared, she pushed her food away and just wanted me to hold her (which I gladly did). After a few minutes, I asked her if she wanted some chocolate milk, and she signed "please". For Bella, chocolate milk makes everything OK! Doesn't chocolate do that for everybody?

Thank you, God, that this was just a scare and nothing a little chocolate milk couldn't help!

6 comments:

  1. at first reading the title I thought heimlich, a good german name, you must be making a joke. Then as I read further I saw it was no joke at all! Poor baby! how scary for her! and for you! so glad it all turned out ok. Isnt it a wonder that kids grow up at all? every single one of my kids has had a choking incident. I am a frequent flyer with the poison control number(and I seriously keep everything locked up, and they still find ways). I think back to when we were kids and wonder how we ever survived! Thank goodness Miss Bella has a Mommy to take care of these things for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how scary! Glad Bella's okay!

    I was just thinking a couple days ago about emailing you to see how Bella did with chewing food when you first brought her home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, how scary!! So glad you were able to stay calm and help her. What a good mommy! Give her lots of extra cuddles today and some extra chocolte in her milk, she deserves it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m holding a $1 challenge over at www.findingkirilsfamily.blogspot.com, on the countdown to Christmas. Kiril is a little boy with significant special needs who has been waiting on Reece’s Rainbow for a long time, and has been bedridden in an institution for over 6 months now. My goal is to get as many people as possible to come and donate just ONE dollar to Kiril’s RR grant, and then pass this message on to just ONE other person of their choice.

    Apart from people I know well, I’m contacting 50 people whose circumstances I’m not as familiar with - so if you’re in the middle of an adoption etc, I obviously don’t expect you to donate. But *please* pass along this message, whether you can give yourself or not.

    Thank you and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how scary!!! Glad you kept your cool and handled it like a pro!! WHEW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that sounds scary! i agree -- thank goodness for chocolate!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete